Anticholinergic Activity and Schizophrenia

Abstract

In this article, we review the downregulation of acetylcholinergic activity in schizophrenia and discuss the similarity and difference between Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and schizophrenia in terms of acetylcholine (ACh) and anticholinergic activity (AA); then, we propose the use of cognition-enhancing therapy for schizophrenia. As ACh regulates an inflammatory system, when the cholinergic system is downregulated to a critical level, the inflammatory system is activated. We consider the possibility that AA appears endogenously in AD and accelerates AD pathology. This hypothesis can also be applied to schizophrenia. In fact, even before the onset of the disorder, in the prodromal phase of schizophrenia, cognitive dysfunction exists, and antibodies against astrocyte muscarinic-1 and muscarinic-2 receptors are present in the serum of patients with the paranoid type of schizophrenia. Then we noted that the prodromal phase in schizophrenia might correspond to the mild stage in AD and the acute phase to moderate stage concerning AA. We also think that we should enhance cognition in schizophrenia even in the prodromal phase because as mentioned above, downregulation of ACh is prominent in schizophrenia even in the prodromal phase.

1 Like

This is what I have. After reading so much about Sz, myasthenia Gravis, etc. I finally understand this stuff. I take an acetcholinerase inhibitor, it seems I’m the only one on the forum who does.