AMPAR Potentiators May Have Role In The Treatment Of The Cognitive Symptoms Associated With Schizophrenia

reating schizophrenia involves not only addressing the primary positive and negative symptoms but also the frequent cognitive dysfunction that accompanies the disorder, known as cognitive impairment associated with schizophrenia (CIAS). These deficits in attention, working memory and executive function have a detrimental impact on a patient’s quality of life and their functional capacity to manage daily tasks.

In new research published in Molecular Psychiatry, researchers simulated CIAS in healthy volunteers by triggering hypofunction of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs), which significantly lowers learning and memory functions when the NMDAR antagonist, ketamine, is administered. They did this to test the strategy of stimulating α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptors (AMPARs) to correct NMDAR hypofunction in humans, an approach which has been previously demonstrated in laboratory rats

“Most AMPAR-focused drug discovery has targeted AMPAR activation via positive allosteric modulators (‘potentiators’) to better match the degree and/or duration of AMPAR opening to synaptic activity,” wrote the researchers. “AMPAR potentiators bind to the allosteric site on AMPAR to slow their deactivation and/or desensitization and thereby enhance receptor signaling.”

One of these AMPAR potentiators, PF-04958242, has been shown to improve memory effects from NMDAR hypofunction in rats. In the current study, researchers extended this testing to human subjects by administering the treatment to an experimental group while the control group received a placebo.

After inducing CIAS-like cognitive deficits through a ketamine dose, the volunteers’ cognitive abilities were tested with the Hopkins Verbal Learning Test, the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale and Clinician-Administered Dissociative Symptoms Scale, and components of the Cogstate schizophrenia test battery. Specifically, this battery included the one-back and two-back working memory tests, a spatial working memory test and a visual learning test.

Following an 8-hour fast, healthy men between the ages of 21 and 45 (n=29), received an oral 0.35 mg loading dose of PF-04958242 on the first day, followed by daily oral administration of 0.25 mg on days 2 through 5 to provide total plasma concentrations at or slightly above the projected clinically efficacious exposure at the time of ketamine administration.

On day 5, the volunteers received a ketamine dose that has been shown to safely produce CIAS-like symptoms, including verbal learning and memory deficits. As expected, this ketamine dose significantly impaired verbal learning and working memory in the volunteers, creating an opportunity to test the efficacy of PF-04958242 versus the placebo.

Comparing the two groups, the researchers reported, “PF-04958242 significantly reduced ketamine-induced impairments in immediate recall and the 2-Back and spatial working memory tasks (Cogstate Battery), without significantly attenuating ketamine-induced psychotomimetic effects. Interestingly, PF-04958242 completely reduced the ketamine-induced impairments in spatial working memory.”

This research suggests that AMPAR potentiators may have a role in the treatment of the cognitive symptoms associated with schizophrenia, and the strong congruity between the animal studies, human studies, and in silico modeling are exciting results for early translational research.

3 Likes

Good news for some folks around here !

Point is, they don’t treat negative symptoms yet. It’s an important unmet clinical need :cry:

1 Like

That’s freaking awesome!!!
I can’t wait to start practicing chess!!!1

1 Like

Good news, more knowledge to work from. I’ve also wondered why they don’t use ketamine to treat depression in sz, as they are experimenting with it in MDD. Guess this would be why.

1 Like

And good to see they have tested it in humans, since a lot of this stuff doesn’t seem to translate from rats to humans.

Also wondering why they did this in healthy people without sz. Hoping that’s just a step to human tests in people with sz. Curious as to how that would progress if this is not a compound a drug company has a patent on.

Sorry about all the posts.

Unfortunately, found this on clinicaltrials.gov. There was a trial in sz patients but it was discontinued, it says due to portfolio reorganization.

How long until something like this hits the market?

Sadly on this one, Pfizer has stopped the clinical trial that was in phase 2 in 2016. Apparently a reorganization of their priorities, and not issues with the drug. So, maybe they’ll sit on it, or maybe they’ll sell it to another drug co to develop, but right now it’s going nowhere.

I’m tempted to write and ask, but I don’t call attention to myself that way, so I won’t.

1 Like

Thanks. I write and ask all the time and probably shouldn’t. I don’t know. Cognitive a are not a huge issue for me but I would like to know they have something in the works.

I am wondering whether that was very much a commercially based decision, ie profit forecasts for it were not good, as it seems to have therapeutic potential.

@firemonkey this illustrates how bad it is that the matter of cure is left
to greedy, profit obsessed companies.

1 Like

Yeah me too. It’s very discouraging. I hope if they aren’t going to pursue it, they will at least sell it to another company that will finish testing it. Normally I think drug companies are doing the best they can with a very difficult problem, but seeing this one abandoned in phase 2, but not because of any data (so the clinical trials site says) is maddening. If Pfizer does respond, please let us know.

I’m guessing the researchers on the study firemonkey linked to were able to use the drug with Pfizers permission, not sure how that works. Maybe the positive results there will light a fire under them to go back to trials.

Yeah, just don’t get it. I can only guess they decided that other drug candidates (for other illness) were a better investment.

Who are these cogstate researchers? Wondering if there can be any further progress there. But if they don’t own the rights, can’t make any profits, why would they pursue further tests? Good people maybe, but good people still have to pay the mortgage.

It’s puzzling AF.

http://sci-hub.cc/10.1038/mp.2017.6 (full)

See page 6 for acknowledgements that says the study was sponsored by pfizer.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
This study was sponsored by Pfizer. We acknowledge the contributions of (1)
Angelina Genovese, RNC, MBA; Margaret Dion Marovitz, RN; Elizabeth O’Donnell, RN;
Sonah Yoo, RPh; Rachel Galvan, RPh; and Willie Ford of the Neurobiological Studies
Unit at the VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven Campus; and (2) of
Sylvester Pawlak, MD, and Kristy Macci MSN of the Pfizer Phase 1 Unit, New Haven,
CT, as well as Mark Milad, PharmD of Milad Pharmaceutical Consulting and Stacey
Boyer, PhD of Pfizer for their central contributions to the success of this project. We
also acknowledge the contributions of William Lytton, MD, Professor of Neurology,
Physiology and Pharmacology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical
Center, Brooklyn, NY for his oversight of the in silico modeling research presented in
this paper.

Page 1

1Schizophrenia and Neuropharmacology Research Group, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, CT, USA; 2Abraham Ribicoff Research Facilities, Connecticut Mental
Health Center, New Haven, CT, USA; 3Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatry Service, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA and 4Pfizer Inc, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Correspondence: Dr M Ranganathan, Department of Psychiatry, Psychiatry Service, Yale University School of Medicine, 116AVA Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell
Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516, USA.
E-mail: mohini.ranganathan@yale.edu
Received 26 July 2016; revised 22 November 2016; accepted 19 December 2016

page 6

CONFLICT OF INTEREST
MR has in the past 3 years or currently receives research grant support administered
through the Yale University School of Medicine from Insys Therapeutics and Pfizer
Inc. BH, JC, SG and MAS report no financial relationships with commercial interests.
ND, FG, MMB, CLS, JM and LZ are full-time employees of Pfizer and own and/or hold
options and/or restricted stock units for the company’s publicly traded shares. DCD
has in the past 3 years or currently receives research grant support administered
through Yale University School of Medicine from Pfizer. Pfizer had a role in the design
and conduct of the study: collection, management, analysis and interpretation of the
data; preparation, review and approval of the manuscript; and the decision to submit
the manuscript for publication.

Can’t see on my phone, but thanks for letting us know that. Good, I guess? Does it have dates? Pfizer abandoned the stage 2 trials in mid 2016. Wondering if this was in progress before or after they stopped the trial.

@twinklestars See my previous post which I have edited.

Thanks. I’m not sure what the dates mean, but it says received July 2016. Pfizer terminated the trial early in Sept 2016. I know there’s lag time on all of this stuff as various people review and collate data, so I’m not sure whether Pfizer sponsored this study before or after they stopped the phase 2 trials.