Amitriptyline withdrawal

I keep crying at random times for no apparent reason. I have trouble eating sometimes, I get unreasonably angry, and it’s hard to hold it all in. Knowing it’s just withdrawal makes it easier to deal with, but only a little bit. I almost want to speed up the weaning process, so I don’t have to spend the next two months like this. But that could cause seizures and vomiting, so I have to stick to the schedule. This is stupid. I don’t like not being in control of my own mental state.

2 Likes

I’m re-evaluating the effect of Wellbutrin on me. This morning I didn’t have my Wellbutrin in my med. tray, and I think I felt more relaxed and less stressed out than usual at day treatment.

Amitriptyline is a strong med. in fact where. Live people abuse it recreationally. Key to stopping any med is to do it very slowly over weeks to months. Is this an option for you?

I’ve been slowly decreasing since a month ago. I will finish on January 5th. It is very slow, but it still affects me.

Sorry your having a hard time @Ninjastar - changing meds sucks. Have you been having sleep problems or pain since reducing? I got those coming off amitriptyline.

Haha yeah. I just don’t sleep anymore.

Where I live folk take a load of it when they run out of heroin.

Apparently amitriptyline causes weight gain. I did notice this when I started taking it, but I assumed it was other factors. Hey, maybe I’ll be able to lose a ton of weight once it’s gone! Since starting it three years ago, I have gained forty pounds. In the beginning it was a good thing, because I was underweight, but when it started to get up to unhealthy levels I felt really defeated. I couldn’t lose the weight no matter what I tried. If I can lose just twenty pounds, I’ll be back in the healthy weight range. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Why did you quit this med and did it help with depression?

I took it for migraines. I’ve never had depression, except when I was on depakote. My doctor wanted to stop it and see if Geodon alone is enough to treat my migraines. Plus, mixing the two can cause heart problems. It was never supposed to be a long term solution.