Am intimidated by the shower

I made a post earlier about my problems washing. @Rhubot put her finger right on it…

I am intimidated by the thought of showering.

I have never got this close to the reason before. I thought for a while I was too unmotivated to shower (which is certainly true) but I am scared by the thought of getting naked, showering having to dry off and put pyjamas on.

Does this sentiment resonate with anybody?

Ps thanks @Rhubot for helping me understand my problem

9 Likes

For me I think it’s lack of motivation, no really intimidated, I actually feel a lot better when I do

4 Likes

I try to shower early every weekday morning. On Saturday and Sunday I try to wait a couple more hours. No it doesn’t bother me.

1 Like

Everyone is different @Jimbob.
For me it’s the lack of motivation.
Just the idea of undressing and getting in the shower, soaping and shampooing myself, drying myself, getting changed in clean clothes, etc… is all overwhelming for me!
You can get used to showering with time.

5 Likes

I can hold off showering, but soon dirtiness affects my functioning. I stop exercising, walking outside, buying groceries, feeling comfortable near people, etc.

1 Like

I totally get it. I have had this problem with getting out of bed, too - there is so much to do before you’re actually up. I had serious problems with taking out the recycling, too - figuring out how to accomplish it overwhelmed me.

For getting up and showering, I would have to think through how I was going to do it. Push back the sheets. Swing around until I was sitting up with my feet on the floor. Grab a robe. Walk into the bathroom. Etc, etc. When I could picture myself doing every step, then I would start to think I could do it.

It feels stupid, almost, to talk about. How hard is it to get out of bed and clean up? But this is what it was like for me.

6 Likes

i had a bath recently and it was pretty good, i had been meaning to have one for a while so when i eventually got around to it it was a relief, after bathing i had a quick shower to wash off the bath water, it was very refreshing, so now i have been meaning to have another one so hopefully i can get into a routine.

1 Like

Yes yes @Rhubot ! I had to write out a task analysis at one point… like step by step written and posted so I could look at it and break it down. See each step. I have experience making these things. I still can’t belive I struggle like this this

2 Likes

I’m like that, but i can’t even think of the steps. I just go into the bathroom like a bumbling drunk and hope I figure my way around there.

3 Likes

I am not intimidated and I am not overwhelmed by the steps, I am just tired and have no energy. I actually took a bath (a few days ago) and didn’t even wash cuz I was so damn tired! I took a shower and DID wash since then but that is an example of how tired I am. I never used to be like this before I was MI. I’m like a plant. It takes everything I have to do the smallest thing.

1 Like

I can’t ever find any of my clothes after a shower. Seems I put them in the wash, then I never see them again…sure you say, what’s those mountain of clothes on the bedroom bench? …oh, those. Well, those are some I bought more than 25 years ago, today, they don’t fit anymore. Who was the kid that wore them anyway, me. But not a kid anymore.

Then there are the clothes that others gave me, clothes that belonged to my ex, my mother, my father…seems everybody but me. There are a lot. Think I’ll make a rug.

I don’t want to take off my clothes because I’m afraid I won’t have anything to change into .

Once I get in the shower…I stay too long.

1 Like

I think that my problem is that I hate to dry off, I don’t like to be wet and cold.

5 Likes

yeah, especially during winter.

also afro takes long to dry.

1 Like

Ugh read all this before I have to shower :sob: No Peeking :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Showers will chew men up and spit them out, son

3 Likes

I shower when I have to, which is pretty much every day. I have to shower before work, and I always feel a strong need to shower at the gym after a workout, considering how sweaty I get doing cardio. I didn’t work today, so I haven’t showered yet (after 5pm where I am). I had figured on going to the gym today, but it’s so cold out that I don’t feel like going anywhere. If I do indeed stay at home all evening I likely will not shower today. I think part of it is that I hate my shower. It doesn’t hold a steady temperature - hot, then cool, then hot, then cool … I freaking hate showering here. At least the gym has hot showers.

It’s raining, it’s pouring
The old man is snoring
He went to bed with a lump on his head
And couldn’t get up in the morning.

4 Likes

Yes honestly I feel the same way

1 Like

My shower is or I should say was dirtier than me

I used to really struggle with the awkward vulnerability piece. I mean what happens if I’m stripped down and ready to shower and the dogs outside get in a fight? I’m either racing for a robe (and letting them tear each other up in the process) or I end up naked in front of my neighbor with body parts flopping around as I try to deal with the problem. My husband is always home when I bathe now, so it’s not an issue but when I lived alone I pretty much always felt uncomfortable with the idea of being naked for an extended period of time. I’m not sure if this is the part that gets to you the most but it was for me.

1 Like