Am I real? Are you real?

I suppose that everyone who reads philosophy is aware of Descarte’s “I think, therefore I am.”

How can I prove that this is not just my imagination? Everything seems like it could be fake. Am I real? Are you real?

does it matter? thats a better question

2 Likes

We’re definitely separate entities. When you pass the world will go on. Validates the world and us. You’re just like us. Validating you.

I don’t exist. Others do tho

Apart from common sense, I do have difficulty conceiving of individual entities. I have to enlist the idea that existence precedes essence, and essence (except for God or Nature) is arbitrary.

I don’t really either. But working on changing that.

Sounds like you’re suffereing from disassociation or de-personalization:

Or perhaps derealization:

My bathroom scale claims I’m about 43% more real than is healthy for me.

Damn it.

Suspect the wretched thing is plotting against me.

10-96

7 Likes

Its not that I want to change. Its that I have more of an altruistic demeanor when I have the mindset that I don’t exist

How so? I would think that would deflate somebody.

I feel real to me.

For me personally. I don’t know, a selfish approach might help you personally. I don’t know your situation

1 Like

when I feel I’m not real… it’s sort of like being out of body and I can’t really get in touch with myself very well.

Everything seems so distant and not real either. It is when I’m going through a stint of depersonalization. I hate being out of body… but it happens a lot to me when I’m tired and not doing well.

Dont worry,just use J.LACAN:
I think,therefore i am not,therefore i am where i do not think
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hospitals, poverty, suffering, illness, mean people, and psychiatrists are all too real.

2 Likes

You would have to think about what constitutes something as real/fake: on what grounds would you say something is fake - other than that it is merely possibly so? Ordinarily you might look for others’ opinions to establish this. Yet you can go further and question the reality of others as well. You’d have to be careful in saying everything is fake though, since for that phrase to be meaningful, you’d have to have a conception of what real is as well - the two concepts are duals. So you might say, ‘this seems fake, unlike, for example, that which seems real’. To say that something is fake is to presuppose some standard of reality that this something doesn’t meet. If you do not have such a standard, the term fake looses its meaning, and the claim that everything is fake will not be a substantial claim. It will become a claim that is not empirically testable, for you do not have the standard to test it by. Therefore it will become like a religious belief, or a delusion.

Questions like that should recede into the background when one lives in the real world. You’ll find out you’re real when reality hurts you for not paying attention to the ordinary business of life.

1 Like

Well I was thinking about Cartesian duality myself the other day so maybe we are the same person/or one of us is the imagination of the other.

But I know this is incorrect as I only joined this site the other day and am 99.9% sure I existed beforehand. You are real. We all are.

1 Like

Is it calibrated correctly? Are you wearing anything when weighing?

Also, depends on frame size too, if you are large framed/big boned your healthy weight can be more.

I am technically 27% more real than they say is healthy, however having lifted weights for many years muscle mass can add more weight so I am really only about 15% more real than I should be.