Am I being ungrateful?

I have a lot. A relatively good job. A car. I’m doing good in my class. I live on my own. I will be out of debt within the next couple of months. I have a few material possessions, some luxuries. But I want MORE. I want to be the person with schizophrenia who has it all. Respect, power, control. On the same footing with everybody else. At least I want a chance. A fair shot. Maybe I should just lighten up and be satisfied with what I’ve got.

1 Like

I think it’s great you’re ambitious. I surrendered to my poverty a long time ago. It’s spiritual for me to be poor. Blessed are the poor.

2 Likes

Think about the values of AA. In the preamble it talks about this. one day at a time, don’t reject material items but let it come to you rather than going to it. You will be able to handle what you can. “You can’t always get what you want, you get what you neeed”.

All I need is structure in my days right now to help go one day at a time. If I fill my day up with the best for economically, satisfactory, and enjoyableness, I know the rest will come to me. Get rid of my ego, don’t try to strive for it. What you deserve will come naturally.

idk my 2 cents.

1 Like

@77Nick77, you are very fortunate to have all that you have considering that you suffer from schizophrenia. There was a time i had it all too, including a family.Unfortunatly for me, I lost it all and i live off of 54 dollars a month in an assisted living facility. It is not a nice way ti live, but i am grateful to have a roof over my head. It is good that you want the best for yourself, keep going because there may come a day, that you may not be doing as well as you are doing as well as you are doing as well as you are now. Not saying that that is what is going to happen, but schiz does not discriminate. You deserve only the best for yourself, you are not ungrateful, you earned everything you have, and everyone deserves the best for themselves.

2 Likes

I thought you were at the end of your career. How old are you?

Are’nt you supposed to be in the nourishing cultivating stage in search of a legacy. Or maybe thats just psych nonsense. I would certaInly say that respect is attainable, not sure about power and control though

who has that…?
not ’ many ’ even normal people have those things.
i see you as a success.
take care :alien:

1 Like

Thanks Darksith

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by “nourishing, cultivating”? Do you mean nourishing, cultivating a legacy??!!! I’m 53. 10 more years of working.

ericksons life stages…
Middle Adulthood (40 to 65 years) Generativity vs. Stagnation Work and Parenthood Adults need to create or nurture things that will outlast them, often by having children or creating a positive change that benefits other people. Success leads to feelings of usefulness and accomplishment, while failure results in shallow involvement in the world.
Maturity(65 to death) Ego Integrity vs. Despair Reflection on Life Older adults need to look back on life and feel a sense of fulfillment. Success at this stage leads to feelings of wisdom, while failure results in regret, bitterness, and despair.

take it with a pinch of salt as with any of these theoretical models

Interesting. I never consciously thought of leaving a legacy before. A few people on here have said I’ve helped them. So that benefited others. Children? No thanks. But thanks for this post.

take it with a pinch of salt! you know the way delusions start. would not want you going around thinkn you were mary poppins😊

More like Dick Van ■■■■. But I understand the reference. I saw it when it first came out in the sixties.

You want more because you are out in the main currents of human activity and that activates your acquisitiveness. I live in an assisted living center, and I am relatively content. I feel that way because I rest in the shallow pools by the shore. If you want more you are going to have to work for it. If you think it is worth it that is what you should do.

I just do what I can.

I think I’m naturally very ungrateful about the good things in my life. It makes for unhappiness that’s for sure. For me it seems to stem from childhood losses that set the tone for my emotional life. So I ask, are you sure it has to do with schizophrenia or is it the “normal” part of your person?

It seems like there are some relatively grateful schizophrenics, and of course ungrateful ones.