Alternative treatments

Hello,

I’m posting because I want to know what you guys do, I’ve had a rough day, but mum wants me to ask you all what treatments you do, or lifestyle options you take.

I’m on chlorpromazine and sertraline, as well as prn and other physical meds.

I take multivitamin, ginkgo biloba, omega 3 and 6, Angus cactus, acidophilus, and some I may or may not have left out.

I’m already partially dairy and gluten free, soon to become permanently.

I wondered if any of you could recommend any treatment, vitamins(or any herbal meds), therapy etc or just let me know what you’ve heard about.

I know this may sound a lot t ask, but I’d appreciate any answers,
Take care,
Meg.

Alternative to antipsychotic medications? I’ve heard promising things about CBD (medical marijuana); glycine, d-serine, or sarcosine; and B vitamins. There was a recent news article that mentioned cognitive behavioral therapy as an alternate or adjunct treatment.

I should add the B vitamins didn’t do anything for me and glycine only partially helped. I haven’t tried CBD yet, but I’m looking to.

2 Likes

Get in physical shape. Exercise more read more and stick with your meds as long as you need to and don’t surrender. Get your self busy with something.anything.

3 Likes

I’m on two AP’s Latuda and Seroquel and Valium was added back for anxiety and panic.

I’ve taking coping classes, anger management classes and I have a support group. I’ve gone to CBT classes and I still pull out the books at times and revisit the assignments. I go to therapy both personal and family therapy once in a while.

I practice mindfulness and meditation and I avoid alcohol and drugs.

I also exercise a lot and I get out into the open spaces where no one is around and that helps me.

I hope this answers your question.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies,

Just to clarify; I don’t intend on stopping my psych meds, just wanted something along side them, but thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

Take Care,
Meg.

1 Like

My naturopathic doctor is starting me on some chinese herbal medicine…I hope it works

I would suggest trying a product called ProFrontal, it’s a combination of sarcosine and N-Acetyl-Cystine and it’s had a dramatic effect on my negative symptoms. D-Serine can also be substituted for sarcosine. You can order it online at http://profrontal.com/ .

Oh boy, I have a lot of things I do to keep well besides medication, and therapy is NOT one of them. Therapy did more to harm me than anything else. I take Omega 3 fatty acids, and multivitamins. I pray for several hours a day, every day. I never watch television or movies. I read books and magazines. I volunteer. I try to attend mass daily. I’m involved with my church. I play and practice piano as often as I can. I compose both popular and classical piano music and record and produce it. I visit with family and friends. I belong to prayer groups and societies. I surf the internet. I interact with and care for my two, precious cats, I practice stretching exercises. I try to get as much sleep as I can every night. (This is usually possible, but not always). And I try to keep close to a regular routine.

I exercised and did transcendental meditation for a while before I was diagnosed. It was a stable period in my life. The promoters of transcendental meditation make extravagant claims about its benefits, and while TM didn’t live up to that for me, I did find it to be effective relaxation therapy. You’d probably have a hard time finding somebody who promotes it today.

Hi Meg , there are alot of quakery out there , usually because most are selling something. I think alternative treatments have a role to play but most of it does not stand up to clinical trials. Pdocs put too much emphasis on medicines , theres a balance i guess.

I am taking Vascepa - an EPA Omega prescription fish oil.
I also take a multivitamin in the morning - sometimes supplements can worsen mania or SZ - psychosis.
I dont rely on supplements or alternative treatments for my BP - Talk therapy is not for everyone, but it does seem to help a bit for me - Good luck with it all

For Sza the alternative treatments, according to internet research, are:
- Basil tea for schizophrenia
- Green Cardamom tea for schizophrenia
- Licorice tea for bipolar

• All the B Vitamin’s for bipolar
  • Massage therapy for bipolar
    - Yoga postures for bipolar**

If you choose to use these, they are to be used in addition to your regular psychiatric medications prescribed by your psychiatrist.