Alcohol and drug abuse increases risk of schizophrenia: study

New research has found that alcohol, cannabis and other illicit drugs can increase the risk of developing schizophrenia later in life.

The researchers
showed that a diagnosis of any substance abuse problem increased the risk of developing schizophrenia six-fold.

Cannabis increased the risk by 5.2 times, while alcohol tripled the risk. Other drugs such as hallucinogenic or amphetamines almost doubled the risk.

And the risk was still elevated 10 to 15 years after being diagnosed with substance abuse.

The study, presented at the International Early Psychosis Association meeting, included 3 million people from Danish registers. Two hundred thousand people from the registers were diagnosed with a substance abuse disorder, of which over 21,000 were also diagnosed with schizophrenia.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty small percentage, are you sure about this?

That’s what the research says,

That explains a bit

hmm… i don’t know, cannabis use only increases the risk of developing schizophrenia by five times where psychedelic use is two times. And alcohol use is three times, I think thats the red herring right there that says this study is bogus.

1 Like

If cannabis x5. Alcohol x3 and hallucinogens x2, if you mix them all together and take them at once do you multiply or add them together or what??? Cause my worst LSD trip I was drinking and smoking too. So that would be x30 the risk ??? Or x10???

1 Like

yea, no ■■■■!!!

I still say that the (manic mindstate which leads to addiction), is the main cause of schizophrenia and that is from trauma. I just don’t necessarily agree that substance abuse itself causes mental illness something traumatic happens to a person and they begin drinking or using. That for me is the root source, mental trauma and being neglected.

maybe it’s another attempt at total prohibition in america, they’ll do stuff like that to us but they’ll be up in washington drinking and smoking away…they’re all bogus in washington.

Yea I agree trauma was the straw that broke the camels back for me. But the heavy pot smoking and drug use T’d me up for that trauma to happen. I made so many bad decisions under the influence of drugs and alcohol that all I needed was a little push from a traumatic episode and the ■■■■ hit the fan.

1 Like

For me the trauma caused the overuse of substance. I just want to feel better through the tortures this illness gives day to day. I’ve been getting hit in the face all day so far.

1 Like

There is a cause for addiction and sometimes it’s purely trauma based, wanting to mend yourself of the pain with a beer or a bowel of pot seems to be horrible to these guys. I’m not saying get blind drunk, not even piss drunk. Just a beer and a bowel of pot that’s all you really need.

Hang in there bro. When you hit the right med combo you’ll feel better I believe that’s what happened for me.

1 Like

I wish it were true, but I am truely at their disposal. I’m trying even to lighten my med dose so my kidneys don’t start going south I guess I have kidney problems right now. I’m still going and I’ve learned so much from this illness. I’ve used it to be a learning experience, and it’s helped me in certain ways I believe be more considerate to others.

1 Like

Yea it does a number on us (this illness). Both physically and mentally. It’s pretty unfair. But, you can still have a life we just have to work harder for it than other people. Again, it’s not fair.

1 Like