Adverse childhood experiences influence the detrimental effect of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia on brain grey matter volumes

CONCLUSIONS:

Our results underline the importance of Adverse childhood experiences on the neural underpinnings of psychiatric psychopathology and suggest a major role of exposure to Adverse childhood experiences for the Grey Matter deficits to reveal in clinical populations.

Exposure to early stress is a crucial factor that must be taken in to account when searching for biomarkers of Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.

Source:

2 Likes

Ahh, it appears Captain Obvious now has a medical license!

I truly believe that if the behavior of my biological mother, biological father, and even “step” father were better, I would be well off today. I was such a gifted child when it came to music & sports, but the volatile nature of their arguments shook us all to the core.

It cannot be any “accident” that both my younger sister and I wound up with SZ, while my two younger sisters besides that struggle with paranoia & anxiety.

I hope to never experience my biological mother or “step” father once I have passed on into the hereafter. I shouldn’t have to act obediently around them anymore. My soul cries out for vengeance sometimes over how they behaved - really put us through tough times for no good reason other than their own pride, selfishness, & ego.

THis may or may not be true - but ultimately your parents and step parents were the result of their own upbringing and their parents. There are no perfect parents out there - only sometimes “good enough” parents. And science has progressed a great deal in the past 20 years - now we know that serious stress during childhood can be very detrimental (but still - many people don’t know this, and ultimately some kids are more susceptible to stress than others - and its not possible to tell in advance).

“Blame” doesn’t help and its inaccurate. All you can do is do the best you can. Leave the past behind.

Abusive father and hyper-religious mother combined with her paranoia did me in. ■■■■ my dad. I was so close being independent and I got schizophrenia. Was living 700 miles away going to school and supporting myself through financial aid and loans. Having a narcissistic and neglecting step father doesn’t help. God I’m such a pussy. I need to get out. Every time I asked that shitty hospital for leads to housing they never fall through. I can only find housing through Craig’s list and I’m scared to do it. Can’t blame parents for everything. Part of it was genes and part drugs. I think I just want to live my life alone as a failure. This post is just reminding me that I need to get a place to live. As long as my suffering is bare able, I’ll be content.

You are NOT a failure.
As long as you’re trying to stand up after you failed…
“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” - Samuel Beckett

I’m a child of narcissistic, and religious parents as well. They do much harm, indeed. But once you are mentally out of that box…its only a matter of time for a physical part…

2 Likes