Adding Sarcosine to Antipsychotic Treatment in Patients with Stable Schizophrenia - improves health of neurons and improves clinical symptoms

Summary:

The addition of the nutritional supplement called sarcosine to antipsychotic therapy for six months increased markers of neurons viability (NAA) and neurogilal activity (mI) with simultaneous improvement of clinical symptoms. Sarcosine, two grams administered daily, seems to be an effective adjuvant (add-on) in the pharmacotherapy of schizophrenia.

Source:

More information on Sarcosine:

and

Sarcosine Improves Negative and Cognitive Symptoms in Schizophrenia, May Reverse Damage to Brain

Summary of info:

Sarcosine Therapy - A New Complementary Direction for Schizophrenia Treatment?

5 Likes

I don’t understand. Is this a good thing?

This would seem to be a good thing.

and as far as this:

"The addition of sarcosine to antipsychotic therapy for six months increased markers of neurons viability (NAA) and neurogilal activity (mI) "

Yes - It seems this also is a good thing:

“neural cell viability and neurite outgrowth are two of the most commonly measured indications of neural (brain) cell health and function.”

2 Likes

Thanks do you think its ok to take sarcosine with 160 mg of Latuda?

so does that improve memory then?

There are a number of studies where they’ve used sarcosine and medications like Risperdal that show there are benefits to adding the sarcosine. I have not seen any tests yet for Latuda plus sarcosine - perhaps ask your doctor.

Results: Sarcosine added to Risperidone significantly reduced symptom severity in many different arenas compared to placebo. D-Serine was not effective in this study. No significant side effects were seen.

and

“Sarcosine treatment was better than d-serine in effect sizes for all outcome measures. Sarcosine also surpassed placebo in most of the measures [of negative symptoms measures) of five PANSS factors and five SANS subscales”

I think the focus of the study was on “negative symptoms” of schizophrenia - not memory specifically, but general area of “cognitive functioning” is covered under the classification of negative symptoms (people typically have difficulty concentrating, reading books, and memory difficulties in schizophrenia.

“The addition of sarcosine to antipsychotic therapy for six months increased markers of neurons viability (NAA) and neurogilal activity (mI) with simultaneous improvement of clinical symptoms. Sarcosine, two grams administered daily, seems to be an effective adjuvant in the pharmacotherapy of schizophrenia.”

2 Likes

So delusions are not affected?

No, I don’t think so. Sarcosine is used for improvement of negative and cognitive symptoms only, I believe.

2 Likes

Yes - that is what the research suggests.

2 Likes