Abilify 💉 weight loss impossible

So it has been 31 days for my diet - 1300 CALS max a day + 3-4 times exercise in a week.
Once in a 14 days I eat 400- cals more but in total I should have been down normalement 10 pounds.

I read on several forums that the injection makes you gain like 20 pounds in a month so maybe that is why I am not losing weight - only maintaining.

My friend suggested I add 3 x Zumba class per week too

I didn’t get that effect from Abilify, but the med’s have different effects on people. Are you taking any med’s besides Abilify? They might play a role. I admire your spunk for working out so hard when you’re on med’s.

1 Like

If I wasn’t on meds - I would be down to my normal weight by now =(
The only med that helps metabolism is Geodon -

I Also take Wellbutrin

1 Like

Abilify hasn’t hurt my weight. I’ve lost a little bit, not much but a little. As long as I’m not gaining I’m happy.

Maybe the abilify pills are different. I’ve been able to lose weight on those. You should definitely have lost some weight. But maybe the pills would be no different for you.

At least you’re not gaining weight right now.

I wish I had an explanation.

It’s also possible that if you keep doing what you’re doing, weight loss could start to happen. Don’t give up just yet.

2 Likes

@everhopeful yesterday i calculated my food by grams. I weighed everything I ate and by the end of the day - I had a chocolate macaroon, not sure why =( so my food intake was a total of 1400 calories on a day where I eat like a normal person.

Do you measure your food or you only eye it/

1 Like

I use calories, not grams if that’s what you mean. Sometimes you have to weigh something to figure out how many calories it has though.

2 Likes

The same thing happened to me…risperdal really messed up my metabolism…even when I went off it I am losing weight incredibly slowly compared to normal, even when changing my diet drastically. What a pain.

Exercise definitely will help.

1 Like

I think it’s as everhopeful mentioned. The injection may be different than the pill. I’m taking abilify in pill form and have lost about 10 pounds each month for the past three months. I weigh a lot though. I was on Invega injection form for the year before and I gained about 100 pounds or so. Injections can be tough when it comes to weight gain in my experiences with them.

2 Likes

I weigh most of my food too. Its the only way to have an accurate idea of what you are truly consuming.

I’m on the Abilify pill and have gained at least 5 lbs in the last 2 months.

Zumba is a great way to torch some calories.

1 Like