Abilify out of stock!

Abilify can not be delivered to my pharmacist. It’s out of stock! I’m out of medicine on monday. What to do? I’ll call my pdoc tomorrow and hopefully she can come up with some idea. 10 mg and 5 mg are out of stock. I have 25 mg Abilify. 10+15. Maybe I have to go up to 30 mg? I can’t decrease with 10 mg. I just increased to 25 a couple of months ago.

Maybe have your pharmacist try and track some down for you from other pharmacies. Good luck

1 Like

As @BryanAshley said ask them to do the ringing around to where the nearest place is to you that stocks it.

Was only a few years ago they use to basically get a driver to drive from one pharmacist to fill my order in about half an hour.

I think the war on terrorism and the effect on fuel prices put an end to that.

But they will ring around for me for where the nearest one that stock the one’s they don’t have.

Try not to panic. Hospitals also have a fully stocked pharmacist. So the ER is a possible last minute solution.

Can a pill cutter help you cut big ones 20 or 30 mg down to size if those are in stock?

Good luck on finding another store.

1 Like

Can’t cut 15 mg pills. They sre small and hard. We have several different pharmacists that does not cooperate. I have to drive round my self to check if someone else has it on the shelf.

Hopefully your pdoc can offer suggestions that we haven’t if you can’t find any place that stocks it.

Remember to breathe and try not to panic in the meantime.

1 Like

I have managed to cut Abilify tablets before - it is possible, even though they are small and hard.
The whole key is to buy a loose razor blade, you know the old fashioned kind.
Here is a photo of what it looks like - a pill cutter is difficult to use with Abilify

1 Like

Maybe your Dr has some samples. I try to order my refills 10 days ahead of time, however once recently the supplier was out.

The half-life of Ability is really long, it takes quite a while to get out of your system.

The mean elimination half-lives are about 75 hours and 94 hours for aripiprazole and dehydro-aripiprazole, respectively. Steady-state concentrations are attained within 14 days of dosing for both active moieties. Aripiprazole accumulation is predictable from single-dose pharmacokinetics.
Abilify (Aripiprazole) Drug Information: Clinical … - RxList

2 Likes

When I start to run out of medication and I know I can’t get anymore for a few days, I ration what I have left. I will start taking it every other day. Or my resperidone is big enough to cut in half. Maybe you can call local clinics or hospitals to see if they will give you some.

1 Like

Try to calm yourself and not panic. Abilfy has a long half-life, and should last at least three days until you can find an alternative place to fill it or they will have it in stock by then. I take Abilfy regularly and on occasion if I forget a dose it does not affect me adversely. Take it regularly but I don’t believe Abilify is life-threatening if you miss one single dose, nor should psychosis return that soon. If you feel like you are on the verge of becoming manic or delusional I would contact the ER they can coax the pharmacist into recognizing the importance. I haven’t run into issues yet with my pharmacy. While my psychiatrist did cancel an appointment, I already had refills on file. I can’t do that with adderall, but even if I do have Adhd, I don’t like adderall a ton. It did help at first but over a period of months it loses its importance. That’s why I’m contemplating not being on Adderall anymore, because I don’t think it’s something I should be on all the time. Not being able to refill my prescription for adderall on time just makes me think I shouldn’t bother with it, it’s just extra money.

1 Like

I just had the same experience with my clonazaepam!
They didn`t have the dose I usually take. All I had to do was take my presription bottles to a new pharmacy-they called my old pharmacy, and it was done in 15 minutes.

1 Like

Talked to my pdoc. She increased my dose with 5 mg. Now I take 15+15 mg.

Abilify 10 and 5 mg is completely out of stock at the suppliers and can not be delivered to the pharmacist at all.

Can it be because of the patent running out this spring? They don’t want to manufacture the medicine because they will lose money?

2 Likes

It could be - the “new and improved” Abilify will be coming out soon, maybe by this summer - Brexpiprazole

Not sure I buy this logic. They should be trying to sell all the Ability they can to make money before generics are on the market.

I doubt that there’s suddenly a run by consumers to stock up before the price goes down, or that p-docs are prescribing it more. Sounds like a regional supply problem. I picked up 90 days worth a few days ago in the US.

@Maggotbrane I heard that Brexpiprazole will have a lower akathisia rate than Abilify - do you know if it causes less anxiety than Abilify? Is it overall a less activating medication?

Onko toinen apteekki sinun kaupungissa? Also, some doctors might have samples to get you through. It’s really weird that they would run out of such an important med…

I’ll check the other pharmacists in the area.

Supposed be less activating and sedating, but this is from a depression adjunct study and not sz.

All doses of adjunctive brexpiprazole resulted in notably low levels of sedating or activating side effects

http://www.epgonline.org/news/brexpiprazole-phase-iii-results-for-adjunctive-therapy-in-major-depressive.cfm

2 Likes

Wow thanks again @Maggotbrane - this seems like something I could be interested in