Abilify (Aripiprazole)

What are peoples experiences with this medication? I was put on it today and I have to take it with Olanzapine for now.

What does? 5mg,10mg etc.

Dose I mean. Not ‘does’

My experience with Abilify was not a good one, but it is a very popular medication and lots of people do well on it.
On the plus side, I was physically healthy on it - it’s a good med for depression.

Good luck with it! :smiley:

1 Like

I had to take it as soon as I bought it. I had to go to three pharmacies to actually find it in stock.

The doctor has started me on 15mg of Abilify every morning, and has given me 5mg tablets as well in case she wants to increase it when I speak to her next week. I was on 20mg of Olanzapine, but I dropped the dose to 10mg last Nov because it was making me so tired. I didn’t expect symptoms to come back though. I still have to take the Olanzapine as well for now.

OK, the reason I asked is 5mg is used as an add on for depression sometimes. 10mg and up is antipsychotic.

Everybody reacts very differently to every medication, so while it’s interesting to ask, I wouldn’t take it as meaning that you would have the same experience.

But for the sake of at least adding to the conversation, abilify was the only thing that worked for me and it worked well. But then I developed the anxiety side effect, had to take benzos to counteract that, and in the end I couldn’t tolerate it.

I’m considering brexpiprazole now, which is coming out this year and is supposed to be abilify with less anxiety. But I’m worried about being one of the first guinea pigs to try it.

I was only on 10mg of abilify. It would definitely be my antipsychotic of choice if I could have tolerated it.

See http://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0301/p617.html. Scroll down to Table 3.
Comparative Risk of Adverse Effects of Antipsychotic Medications*, then click on “view/print table” to see the whole chart and use the sliders. As Everhopeful said, however, “Everybody reacts very differently to every medication.”

1 Like

they put me on abilify and i ended up in hospital

did you go crazy or did you have side effects

i went psychotic for 2 weeks, i was grand till they gave me abilify