Abilify ( Aripiprazole)

Hey so i stopped taking all of the schizophrenia medications and went to a major depression. the psychiatric told me to take abilify 5mg in the morning everyday and it seems to be working, im taking it for a month now on 10mg… It seems that its not helping as much now, and depression it is still dark.
What medication you think is very affective for depression after schizophrenia? Im taking currently Abilify, any of u guys heard about it ? Thanks

1 Like

Remeron/Mitrazapine for depression.

I have 20 mg Abilify. It’s for delusions and paranoia. Not working for voices.

1 Like

I know Abilify works for a lot of people.

In addition to my antipsychotics I take Zoloft (Sertraline) 250 mg. I’ve been on a number of antidepressants but this one works best for me . The "max’ dose is 200mg but my pdoc said since they started releasing the generic, it isn’t working as well, so they have to go above the max suggested.

1 Like

I take Abilify and Sertraline, the latter of which works great for my depression and anxiety. I just started the Abilify so I can’t say yet how well it works, but it hasn’t had any nasty side effects yet either. Good luck!

2 Likes

I still hear voices but i don’t have paranoia and delusions. the voices suck really bad. anything to take that out?

Abilify works fine on its own and if your depression is severe, you can add an anti-depressant medication. I take GABA with Abilify.

1 Like

My therapist suggested mindfulness. I’m trying that now. Just accept that I have voices and trying not to fight against them. Just notice they are there and then try not to be frightened or angry at them.

My pdoc wants to give me more meds. But higher doses brings more side effects. I have no side effects now.

Yea i’m trying that too, it’s more like voices of commanding you on what to do on tasks, like move foward, talk to this girl, don’t do this. boobs, f#$@ her, a lot of sexual contents on it , happens more often in school than weekends at home for some reason.

Maybe your voices have tourette’s? :wink: I have tourette’s syndrome and I have thoughts like that. Repeating over and over. Sometimes I swear or give someone the finger. But it’s much better since I started neuroleptics. The same med for both sz and ts.

I take Lamictal for my moods/depression - its an anticonvulsant used in bipolar disorder sometimes for schizophrenia

I might ask my doctor for the Zoloft for depression… Lamictal , Zoloft ? which one works the best ?

Lamictal acts more like a mood stabilizer. I was on it for a while and it helped level out my highs and lows.

1 Like

Lamictal acts as my mood stabilizer. It is primarily for depressive symptoms but also acts as a weak anti manic - it does a pretty good job at stabilizing my moods, but once in a while I will get some breakthrough depression, like I did today.
Both my parents are on Zoloft - it is a pretty good SSRI antidepressant - not an antimanic

1 Like