A sub forum for higher functioning posters,some thoughts

Dated a future teacher. Highly Intelligent people are often have “deficits” in other areas. At least that’s the current theory, she had to take classes on spotting them and assisting with them.

I’m good at Problem Solving, Retention, Visual Learning, and Contextual and Conceptual Thinking. Can’t do anything other than Grade School Math though

I think I agree with what your saying, high functioning doesn’t mean high iq I think it’s more tied to how psychotic you are today and in the past.

There’s a TED video out there by a Sz woman lawyer in California, she’s been Sz all her life yet teaches law school for example.

I just came back from a psych Hospital that was full of low functioning Schizophrenics.
Believe me, most of the people here on this site are rather High Functioning

1 Like

I think we have enough things here to fight over already.

i think the diagnosed part is ok just now although i dont use it much

I got a 2050 sat prepsychosis yet I’ve consistently scored under 100 on IQ tests? So apparently I’m dumber than you on official IQ tests yet I scored higher on a standardized test as a teen…

I take these measurements with a grain of salt. The only people who talk about having high IQs are those who are insecure about their standing relative to other people.

I judge myself as pretty low functioning, so I guess I can’t be part of the exclusive club.

I read somewhere that sz causes a 10 point drop in IQ, I feel like I’ve definitely been impacted by this especially since my prepsychosis IQ was nothing special.

1 Like

IQ is nothing really…I can drive just fine but dont have a car…I can negotiate with enemies with verbal strategies. I can hold a relationship for years…my problem is when ditched I neglect things and laundry doesn’t get done, house gets messy and i sometimes dont eat for a day or 2, then i completely freak out and call foreign countries to stop full scale thermonuclear war…and play this song

because when a girl ditches you it is the end of the world…

I also play this

@Quequeg It’s been quite a few years since I’ve heard mention of Ten years after.

Re the thread. It seems that overwhelmingly, in the eyes of those who’ve responded, it would be a bad idea/unworkable as a forum here . The suggestion Rhubot made about private messaging and inviting people makes more sense.
I did cite my doubts in my opening post but thought it was worth gauging opinion.

I don’t see a huge correlation between IQ and high functioning.

You don’t have to have high intelligence to be high functioning, you just need to be well managed and sensible imo

2 Likes

I consider myself high functioning but does that mean I really am? I like to think so :grin:
BTW: there are some SERIOUSLY high IQ’s on here. Anything over 140ish (maybe 145?) can get you into MENSA. I have taken a legit IQ test before being ill and it was 132. After being diagnosed it was 124. Not sure if it’s related to my SZ or not but it would seem so. I don’t judge myself or my level of functioning based on my IQ but it’s interesting.

I can’t even find a web site that defines “high functioning” for schizophrenia - I just get examples of people who claim to be high functioning:

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/schizophrenia/comments/2tcl8k/highly_functioning_schizophrenics_what_do_you_do/

And - to be honest - if you’re participating in these forums - you’re already probably in the upper 20 % of functioning. You’re reading and navigating a pretty complex web site.

1 Like

I’d say the Work & School forum is for those who are uber high functioning. If you have SZ and you’re working or going to school, you’re kicking serious booty.

5 Likes

News is mostly research articles, meta is how the website works. Both of those too.

Lounge and unusual beliefs get weird . Sometimes.

Would you like to segregate black from whites, men and women as well? .Jesus h christ

Some low functioning people on this forum seem to me to be very articulate and knowledgable .
(They said they are low functioning in another post…)

If it is political debates and other similar topics one is interested in them there are other forums for such.

In person I am not educated nor knowledgable nor articulate or literate enough to fit in on such forums.

Golly knowzzzz in spirit though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One has ones moments…:blush:

There are people that might fall between chairs and not have a place on Internet they can go to.
But there are very disabled people who have great social interaction online n they would not be considered high functioning…
Does it depend on who one is…

Are there people who get pushed out of Internet…
For what reason…
Others using what’s theres…n that why …
Such as aura even

High Functioning is one of those terms like Racism. Racism is the belief that there are genetically distinct groups of humans usually with the underlying ideology that these groups can be comparatively ranked (superior, inferior). Which has been deemed Scientifically False btw.

But that’s not how people (mostly just Americans though) use the term. It’s a catch all for pretty much any form of Ethnic or Religious based Discrimination because the alternative or more correct way of explaining those complex ideas can get ■■■■■■■ wordy. And honestly who has the time.

I seek help when I need it. I need no assistance performing ‘Activities of Daily Living’. I can identify my psychotic triggers. Hospitalization was deemed unnecessary and potentially detrimental. And I have strong coping mechanisms (mostly the intellectualization one). Etc, etc, etc.
But most of you get the jist of when I say High Functioning.

You seem more intelligent than average and average is 100…GJ on the high sat scores though. Those are some really high marks!

All these tests are culturally biased, supposed to be confined to white males doing well on them…so I wonder if that plays a factor? But your discrepancy from sat to iq is odd IMO

1 Like

Bah this means nothing…I deem this thread racist elitist and fundamentally flawed…if we the sz on this forum are 1% of the 1% total sz in the human population why would you want to fracture this decimal of a percent into…I’m guessing 1% of this community is uber high functional…so you want this exclusive club made up of what .0001% of the population…to do what…bake cookies…play uno…start up a game show sz survivor…

3 Likes

I would watch sz survivor BTW…

1 Like