A friend is ill

a friend of mine also has schizoaffective disorder. we email back and forth. he just got out of the hospital after a two week stay after he tried to kill himself when he didn’t take his meds for almost a month. He is only 20 and he is married with a kid and another on the way. He is on Haldol depot now I can’t remember what its called where he is living. How do I convince him to stay on the depot? His wife is staying by his side no matter what and she also has mental health issues but isn’t taking her meds because of her pregnancy.

1 Like

You can tell him that when we have kids the responsability for our mental health is even bigger, we need to stay sane in order to take good care of the children, that should be his priority!

Good luck!

1 Like

I’ll try that next time I talk to him, he’s under a lot of pressure from his job and another baby on the way. I can’t remember what mental health problems his wife has but she is under doctor supervision while pregnant and not taking meds.

1 Like

Medication is probably the most difficult issue with SZ apart from the SZ itself. Some people never learn. You need insight.

1 Like

he said he is going to try, but that’s all we can hope for. his dad pays for everything and has babied him almost his whole life. Don’t get me wrong he isn’t spoiled or a bad person just misguided. I think he learned his lesson now, at least I hope so.