3 antipsychotics every day

I would like to ask if anybody else are taking 3 different antipsychotics
In my case I take a shot of clopixol depo 500 mg biweekly and 200 mg geodon dayly amd 250 mg Seroquel dayly. I have had the injection since 1997 and the geodon since 2006 and the Seroquel since 2012.
Lately I have got the amount of medication reduced and I am now om the lowest dose that prevents me from experience psychosis.

I use to be on Clopixol but not such a heavy dose. I’m now on 25 mg Abilify daily. You certainly come a long way with AP’s

You see I can tolerate the antpsychotics and if I don’t take them
Then I experience symptoms like voices, persecutory delusions
Intruitive thoughts and delusions about bad health. On the other
Hand as long as I am compliment I don’t have any symptoms.

The risk of side-effects increases when you take multiple APs. They can also interact in ways that we don’t know yet, since little research is done on different APs used in combination. Sometimes people respond better to a combination of two different APs, but I think psychiatrists generally try to avoid this. Three APs seems excessive and there’s no way to know if that combination is safe or not. Have you tried being on higher doses of one or two APs?

IN my first hospital stay I think I was on zyprexa but also remember taking Thorazine and haldol. One of them might have been an injection when I got out of control which was a few times, but I guess that’s different.

I would say that, with your doctor’s permission and monitoring of your health, the lowest dose while not being psychotic is an appropriate goal.

1 Like

I like Thorazine. I tolerate it well. Hate haldol though.

1 Like

If you are taking them at such low doses it shouldn’t be a problem. The Seroquel is hardly even there, you wouldn’t feel it if you got rid of it. So you are more on two antipsychotics. If all the D2 receptors are blocked with one antipsychotic then the other one will block the remaining ones if there are any or go to different receptors. I’m on Abilify 20mg am and Seroquel Xr 400mg pm.

In other words, if all the dopamine and serotonin receptors are locked by one antipsychotic the next one you take will occupy different receptors.

I take three AP’s too. Risperdal Consta 37.5 mg injection every two weeks; Geodon 240 mg by mouth every day; and Seroquel 200 mg by mouth every night. I also take an antidepressant, Celexa 20 mg by mouth every day.

The therapeutic range of Seroquel is 150 to 750 mg, so 250 mg isn’t “hardly even there”, and I think he would notice if he got rid of it. Also, the fact that the doses are low does not mean that the combination is safe.

1 Like

150mg Seroquel occupies has activity at D2 and 5ht2a, but the affinity is so weak that it is not likely hitting those receptors a lot at that low dose, meaning efficacy for psychosis should be partial at best. Couple that with the rapid dissociation at D2 and you have a very short action from that dose of 150.

Not because I want to offend you but I tried to reduce
Seroquel with 100 mg 6 week ago but I had to return
The original dose of 250 mg because I got so much anxiety and
Insomnia. That’s why my nurse told me to stay on this dose for
Many years to come.

1 Like

I take 400 Seroquel with 200 as needed. I need that 200 when the Seroquel quickly dissociates off the D2 in a matter of seconds. 200 is the lowest dose which does anything for. To me 200 is a tiny dose. Sometimes I used to take up to 1200 or more in a day because I was so psychotic.